Thursday, January 14, 2010

Changes in decor

So I recently have had some time to change some things around in my house and work on some things that have been bugging me.
The dining room has never felt right to me with the black in there. I loved the wall color, but the black curtain and black frames were not "jiving" with the white table and trim work.
I took those down and thought that I'd like to make a more bright and cheerful room. After all, we eat, play games and do homework in there.
I have been obsessed with taking pictures lately, and absolutely love to do pictures of flowers. So, I let this be my inspiration for the room.
I started out by taking some of my favorite pictures and framing them and putting them on the largest wall. I have this for a start, although with time, this may expand:

I liked the idea of a wall with a lot of different style frames all sort of randomly placed when I first saw the Sex and the City movie. Then my friend Joi did one in her house and I loved it too.

Well, the same ol' Joi must be pretty inspirational to me, because she did a DIY project not too long ago where she took some air dry clay and made butterfly 3D sculptures for the wall. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED HER PROJECT and knew that that would be something I did in the future. I love butterflies because they remind me of my Grandma, but I decided that since the room was being inspired by my flowers, I would do some flowers instead. You can see how I placed them in the picture below to the left. I think they look pretty cute!

Here is a detail of the flowers:
So, I was stuck with the other large blank wall after I finished the flowers.

I love when walls have big circles on them. I love the restaurant Pi on Delmar in St. Louis and wanted a "circle wall", so I decided to do some sort of big circles on the large blank wall to fill it up. Well, I was walking through Michael's crafts yesterday and saw some doilies. The idea popped into my brain that I might be able to stick them to the wall and create my circle wall for very very cheap!

I bought various sized doilies and some Elmer's craft spray adhesive and went to work this afternoon. Within 1 hour, I had my circle wall that has some flower details in the doilies! An idea that combined the flowers and the circles! Cool!

Anyway, thanks Joi for being the inspiration for some of these ideas! I really like the way it all turned out and besides breaking several of the clay flowers while I was trying to stick them up, it was all very easy!


1 comment:

Joi said...

You're too cute! I'm happy to be an inspiration for something! lol : )

Everything looks great!