To start off the weekend right, he got "the letter" from school, informing him that his class would be watching the 5th grade developmental video and would need our permission to watch it. He told me about this letter last year, because word got around that 5th graders got to watch a "special video". So, I tried to make sure that he didn't have any questions, and we had another talk about things that boys go through when they're turning into men. I think he's probably well informed and ready for the video. His only concern seemed to be the fact that he said that they weren't allowed to laugh, and if they did, they would get a detention.
Here's a copy of the letter- of course, I'm a geek and see this as a big deal, so I had to take a picture of it!
Well, then it was Friday night and my Mom and Dad wanted the kids to spend the night, so off they went with PaPa on his way home from work. They loaded up their video games and some toys and were ready for getting spoiled. That left Rich and I free to do something. We ended up going to eat at The Bull and Bear and then tried to watch Slumdog Millionaire at the Edwardsville Movie Theater. I've seen it before, but he hasn't. Well, 20 minutes into the movie, the projector broke, so that ended that. We went home and I fell asleep pretty quickly. Fridays make me nutty tired!Saturday morning, I woke up and made a curtain for the cabinet in the bathroom. Rich made the cabinet this past summer and put a door on it. I hated the stupid door because it was ugly, but mostly because he and the kids would never shut the stupid thing so we always had our towels etc. showing. So, I made the curtain, and now after they're done getting something, it will always fall back into place and hide the clutter! I also finished putting up my decals around the bath. Here are some pics of the curtain and the bath tub:


Saturday after I made the curtain, I went to lunch with my friends Sarah and Mendy. Before that, I stopped at Fashion Bug to kill some time and ran into a sale! Everything with an orange tag on it was $5.98!!! I ended up getting like 12 shirts and 4 pairs of earrings!!! Fantastic!!!
Saturday evening I had plans to go to the symphony. Verdi's requiem was playing with Christine Brewer and both were outstanding! I don't know why, but I love love love requiems. I realize that it's religious funeral music, but the music is so powerful. There are all sorts of undertones going on at the same time that some lovely vocalist is belting out about the wrath of God. I absolutely cracked up at the conductor when somebody's cell phone went off at the very beginning of the piece. The orchestra was in the first 2 minutes, the music was very soft at this point and then a faint ring could be heard. The director stopped the piece, turned around, made a sign with his hand like a phone, and asked, "Whose is it?" OH MY GOD!!! Then he told a joke about turning off embarassing electronic devices, the crowd laughed and he started the piece again. He totally scored "coolness" points with me that night! The whole piece was stunning and the vocalists were amazing. When the full chorus is there along with the orchestra, it's always a treat. I can't wait until next year when they do Mozart's requiem! I may have to go both nights!!!
So...Richie wanted to stay an extra night at my parents' house- again on Saturday night....because he wanted to GO SQUIRREL HUNTING with my Dad!!! I can't believe this, and really wish he wouldn't get into the hunting thing because I'm so opposed to it, but I know that it had to be a proud proud moment for my Dad, so I let it go. He didn't end up shooting anything, but he said he really had fun and wanted to hunt some more with my Dad again next year.
While Richie was outside hunting, Stephen was keeping my Mom entertained. She keeps a doll that she's had since I was little sitting next to their slot machine in the living room. This doll wears red overalls and a red hat and sits in a red rocker. Stephen has been fascinated with this doll ever since I can remember and even hid my mom's wig on his head under the hat when she was going through chemo. Anyway, he was wearing the hat and acting like the doll here:
I am looking forward to our day off tomorrow and plan to have some lazy time with the kids. Here are some pics of me with the kids last weekend when we were waking up late:
No comments:
Post a Comment