Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Salsa!

I love taking salsa lessons. First of all, it gets me up off of my butt and makes me do something exercise-like that doesn't seem like exercise. That's good, because I don't do a lot exercise-wise. Second, I have met some new people that I really enjoy being with every week. I love to meet new people and try out new things. Last, but not least, I really enjoy everything that has to do with the style of music and that includes the dance.

I "thought" I knew how to salsa when I was in college. Back in those days I ended up going out to a lot of "salsa parties" that happened in the St. Louis area. Usually I had had several margaritas and was following a guy's lead that had also had several margaritas. So, really not too much salsa was getting accomplished.

Now, I think that I actually do know quite a bit and even though I'm still learning I realize how little I knew then.

The studio where I take lessons hosts a salsa lesson and party once a month. The studio's name is Flavor, so the monthly parties are called Fla.vor.ful Fridays. It's a nice atmosphere, not bar-like, but just a bunch of people that really like to dance going to practice.

Here are some pictures from the last one.

This is a picture of the basic lesson. Jeannie was using me as an example of how to do a right turn. We are all dressed in white, because it was a Cuban all-white party.

This is a picture of the "rueda" lesson. Rueda is a different type of dance made of circles. The partners dance a while together and the partners switch. We didn't get very far, but I discovered that it's something I really really like and would like to take some more lessons on rueda. Here we're about to switch partners:

1 comment:

Joi said...

I love that you're having so much fun!

That last picture kills me b/c that guy looks like a giant compared to you! hehe!