Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sex and the City Review


So, we got to see the movie finally and it was MARVELOUS!!!! I ended up crying through most of it because, let's face it- the problems the girls in the movie go through are the problems that women face in the real world and I have faced quite a few in my own life. Men tend to cause us gut-wrenching pain and "Carrie" really portrayed that well in the movie. I know that there have been several times that my ya ya girls have had to support me through things, and I could really feel her emotions as she hit Big with the flowers or looked at herself in the mirror. I've had my friends gather around me during those horrible moments, just as Carrie's friends gathered around her. I also felt Charlotte's emotions when she told "Big" to stay away from Carrie in the limo scene. I've felt that emotion before when I've been on the other end and had to support my friends during their bad times and wanted to protect their broken souls from those that would hurt them. Of course, in real life, it's not always the happy ending that we got with the SATC movie. Sometimes the apology just doesn't work, or it's been heard too many times before. It makes me thankful for my wonderful friends and family that support me to the utmost. This was a very "estrogen-driven" movie, and I'm not sure that "the guys" would be too keen about this movie. There was no guy-bashing. But, the movie really focuses on the fact (especially with Samantha's character) that women need to be themselves and not wait around and base their lives off of the men that they love. Miranda's character also struggles with Steve cheating on her and sticks to her guns on that until the very end when she "learns to forgive". I'm not sure that that's always wise, but in this case it seemed to fit. I haven't ever really liked Charlotte's character that much- she's too sappy and stereotypical housewife for me, but she did have a very funny scene with Montezuma's revenge in Mexico. Been there done that. All and all, it was a great movie that had highs and lows for the girls, just like real life. I felt the horrible pain when they felt it and felt the laughter also. My friend Paige put it best when she said that she felt they were like an extension of our group of friends- we've all gotten to know them so well, and all of their characters belong in each and every one of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN SISTER! I HAVE TO SEE IT AGAIN NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!