Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Weird week so far

This week has been kinda nuts so far for me and it's only Tuesday! Monday my Mom watched my kiddos (thanks Mom) and off to Six Flags I went with my ladies Jeannie and Joi. We made our annual trek out there, rode some rides, and had about 9 hours to walk and talk with each other. I don't know what it is about the 3 of us, but when we get together we seem to find endless conversation. I love the sound of both of them on the roller coasters. Jeannie has this funny scream where she laughs at the same time and her arms are constantly up in the air. Just hearing it makes me bust a gut. Joi has a "whooooohoohoohoohooohoooo" noise she makes that reminds me of some sort of exotic bird. That makes me want to bust a gut too. So between the two of them I am laughing about the whole day. We were all parched the entire day and I don't know when I've had so much to drink. After Six Flags, we went to Steak N Shake for a drink and some ice cream. It felt so good to sit in air conditioning after our day in the sun. Then we went back to my house for a while and after sitting and chatting the evening ended in a private salsa lesson for me to help me on some double turns. Jeannie pointed out a few things that I'm doing wrong, so maybe I can finally get around without falling.
Yesterday was fun. Today sucked. I went to my appointment at Barnes West to the pain doctor. I was out of the regular injections I get that seem to be doing the trick. You can only get so many in a year, and my year doesn't start again until November. So, he decided to try something different. This was an epidural steroid injection. They told me to bring a driver for sure this time, so I should have known that it would be worse. I had to lay on my stomach for this one, I felt 2 shots going down my spine, up by where your neck meets the back. That was a numbing thing. Then I felt enormous pressure and pain when the injections were going in. I felt like I was going to throw up and pass out, so I said so and they immediately put ice on my neck to help bring me around. The doctor asked if I was going to be able to make it just a little longer, and I said yes. He finished up with something very painful, and evidently my blood pressure went down to about 82/ 63 so they tipped the table that I was laying on so that my head was pointing down. I had to lay like that for about 10 minutes. They said I went "vaso-vagal" (sp?) My blood pressure was very slowly coming back up. Finally I started to feel better and they sat me up. I had to stay in the recovery room a little longer than usual and I've been at home since about 11:00. I fell asleep until about 1:30, and now my neck is stiff and sore. They said it could be for a day or two. I hope to hell this thing works as good as the other injection and it will be worth it. If it doesn't seem to help, I'm going to have to tell him to try something else. He's a wonderful doctor, very patient, and always makes sure you're doing OK during everything he does. He was worried about how much ibuprofen I was taking and he prescribed me something to help out in between shots. I took some when I woke up and the pain does seem to be doing better than it was. The injections can take up to 2 weeks to really help you feel good (that's what happened last time- 2 weeks of pain after the shot then 4 months of feeling good) so I'll be patient.
My sons are absolutely amazing. Because I'm sort of out of it and sore, they both turn in to little nurses. Richie "made" me lunch, Stephen made me an ice pack and brought me a drink. They always stick right by my side when I need them and both behaved very well while I was taking a nap and the rest of the day today. They're a little nuts sometimes, but they're both the best kids that a person could ask for. I'm very proud of them for being such good care takers. I hope that they stay like that as they get bigger.

1 comment:

Joi said...

Geez, Melissa! I am so glad you are ok. I will be calling you later tonight!